- Progressive Tooling - A list of community-built, third-party tools that can be used to improve page performance.
- A11Y Style Guide - A super useful resource featuring easy ways to make your websites more accessible.
- Apps For All: Coding Accessible Web Applications – Smashing Shop - I’m going on holiday next week and I think this book by Heydon Pickering will be going with me.
- Practical ARIA Examples - This page hosts all the examples of practical ARIA usage from the book.
- 5 Keys to Accessible Web Typography | Better Web Type - Typography is a really important part of accessibility and also general user experience. Well thought out typographical styling (along with the appropriate use of HTML) simply makes things easier for everyone.
- Why we prefer CSS Custom Properties to SASS variables | CodyHouse - This is the best article I’ve read so far on CSS Custom Properties.
- Separate Form Submit Buttons That Go To Different URLs | CSS-Tricks - This was completely new to me but this is an amazing HTML tip.
- How accessibility trees inform assistive tech - Mozilla Hacks - I’ve been finding Firefox’s accessibility tree inspector really useful for quick A11y checks.
- 5 Rules for Choosing the Right Words on Button Labels - This kind of microcopy focus can have real effects on UX and accessibility.
- CSS :focus-within - Not something I’d used before but I’l definitely be using it in future. When you add functionality on
:hover, it’s only right to also make that usable by keyboard and assistive tech users.
- Three Predictions From the State of CSS 2019 Survey | CSS-Tricks
- Making Tables Responsive With Minimal CSS · Bradley Taunt - This is always a challenge I really relish. I’ve used the Flexbox with labels technique in the past and I’ve played around with using Grid with
display: contentson the
- Style your default global links using the :not CSS selector - Alex Carpenter - Every so often you see a little tip like this that just makes you say out loud "That’s a good idea". It almost always happens when you’re in public and talking to yourself is greeted with sideways looks.
- Delight Comes Last: Matthew Ström - Focus on the important stuff first. The glitter comes later.
- Static Indieweb pt2: Using Webmentions: Max Böck - Enabling WebMention support in static site generators. This blog is run on 11ty, so I found this useful.
- How a Pro Photographer Edits iPhone Photos - I’ve always been into photography. More recently, whether I’m carrying my ‘good’ camera or just using my phone, I do all my editing either on the iPhone or iPad.